Sunday, September 5, 2010

Playing with knives





I haven't played with knives for years.  The only classroom experience with them was more than thirty-five years ago in an adult ed oil class.  I remember loving the resulting textures and effects, even though I wasn't sure if I were doing it "right."  I am still not sure if I am doing it right, but I have been fooling around, and, again/still I am intrigued by the texture.  Here are two quick practice attempts.  I like them well enough, but I still have a lot to learn, but isn't that always the case?

3 comments:

Carrie H. said...

I used to love painting with knives in High-school. After college I didn't like the smell of oil at home. I tend to use non smelly stuff now. When are you moving? Before Halloween would be good. I guess you have to sell your house first.

Dee Doyle said...

I probably should have said that I was using acrylics. I, too, dont deal well with the smelly stuff. More and more people are having reactions to chemicals and toxics. Is that a commentary on today's multi-chemical environment, or that people now realize the impacts of toxins?

Until I sell my house, I am day to day, doing what I can here, and thinking aobut how neat it will be to get to PDX!

Carrie H. said...

In the meantime, Check out this group of sketchers..... They are relatively close.

http://whidbeyislandsketchers.blogspot.com/