Sunday, August 28, 2011

Which One is Just Right?

Have been away for a while ... the hurrier I go, the behinder I get.  Am trying to finish up summer classes and prepare for early fall classes, and I get "clutched."  So, I went back to doing some watercolor batiks to relax into and play a little bit.  Well, of course, I am still clutched.  Got to punch through!

So, I took an old "blah" watercolor  of mine, and copied it onto some rice paper.  Was not thrilled with the outcome, so did two more.  Like Goldilocks I am trying to figure out which is "just right."  I am thinking that none of them are just right, but each of them have elements I like, and, of course, a few parts that I am not too happy with.  But, I am not going to beat myself up, because I am beginning to figure out how much of a drawing I need to do, how much spattering I want to do, and how much paint [i.e., value] I need to use.

Talk about needing to punch through, I look at several of my most recent posts, and see that they are all watercolor batiks.  I need to get back into doing some more serious [ not TOO serious] work.  I have a couple of acrylics I am working on, and I have done a few quick watercolor demos in watercolors that are "okay," but nothing that thrills me. 

Oh well, like I say ... the hurrier I go ... shows, classes, and a couple of workshops that I will be giving, and a coule I will be taking.  Woo hoo!  THAT'S what I need, some nurturing "me" time in a workshop I will be taking!  More to follow!





8 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

I'm not help to you because I like them all :) Perhaps the movement made by the splatters in the second one gives it a bit more visual interest (if I really had to choose one).

Barb Sailor said...

These are all awesome - you'll just have to show them as a series!

irinapictures said...

I like the third one very much. Difficult to choose, all three are amazing.

Leada Wood said...

They all have a different mood, but I also enjoyed the one with the splatters and movement the most. All are very nice.
Glad to see you back posting, I was beginning to worry about you! Figured you were busy doing something.Glad you are taking some workshops, who with? I am taking one in October with Betsy Dillard Stroud, can't wait!

Unknown said...

You get more out of this batik method than anyone I know. I like them all. I hope you are working in a well ventilated area!!

ann @ studiohyde said...

I really like the first version, but in saying that the third one is striking!

Dee Doyle said...

Whew! Thanks to each and every one of you for your comments and observations on my Goldilocks question! I guess the jury is still out, and that's what makes art-making and appreciation so dynamic! Something for everyone.

As you can guess, I enjoy doing batiks. Will be doing a workshop in Bellingham in early October. Y'all come! :-)

Lois said...

These are beautiful