Friday, March 16, 2012

And The Series Continues ...


Coneflowers ~ Acrylic on Black Gesso 12" X 12"
This is the sixth painting I have done since last Thursday as a result of taking a workshop on Experimental Acrylic and Mixed Media with instructor, Jacqui Beck, who is also a creativity coach in Seattle.  She helped me loosen up and access a better creative me.  Doing a series and "beating it to death" is not an original concept, but I "got" it this time.  As well, I read a recent post by Skip Lawrence on painting at least twenty paintings of a series.

What I need to try for my next "go" at a series, is to paint the same thing over and over again different ways.  I have heard that before, and, being an Aries, I get bored too quickly.  Jacqui suggests that we paint the first one, and then paint from that first one, and then the next one, and the next one ... etc., always asking "what if." 

When the student is ready, the teacher appears!   

3 comments:

ann @ studiohyde said...

Your workshop sounds like it was fun and useful. I like how instructors give us another 'view' and liven up our art, even although we can paint already. Really like your Coneflowers, and the fact you put them on black gesso...think I'll be trying this soon:)

Barb Sailor said...

I also like the effect you got painting on black gesso. Nice painting.

Dee Doyle said...

Thanks, Ann and Barb. I am really enjoying working on black gessoes canvases AND 300 pound watercolor paper. I add a little Nova lightweight texturing paste to the canvas or paper before I gesso, which makes for great marks and texture when I drag some acrylic color across it.