Saturday, March 10, 2012

What if ...

This canvas is on its fourth iteration.  It has been trees, flowers, a figure, and now hydrangeas.  Isn't that a wonderful thing that we can recycle "bad" paintings by painting over them with acrylics?  The canvas has been texturized, stamped, stenciled, gessoed and re-gessoed, and I think this time it's okay.  Because it has been around the block a few times, I figured I would "play," and this is what I came up with.

Hydrangeas in a turquoise pitcher ~ 18" x 24" Acrylics Mixed Media
Even with all I learned at the Jacqui Beck workshop, I still drifted toward the traditional and ended up with the "star" hydrangea right smack in the middle.  So this morning, looking at my boring painting,
I said to myself, "what if," and started playing with my Dr Martins Hydrus watercolors.  I wasn't wed to the outcome, and enjoyed making squiggles with the droppers. Pretty soon, the main flower appeared to be a little offset, the painting winked at me and came alive!  Wish you could see it up close.

It's rainy today.  I think I will try some more!

4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Your letting go of this one and just enjoying the process really created a beautiful painting!

Dee Doyle said...

Thanks, Rhonda, It IS fun to play, and not be wed to the outcome. It's good to KNOW the rules, but also good to break a few! :-)

LINELL said...

I like it, Dee, and I like the idea that you can keep working on it until you like the results.

Barb Sailor said...

I love the "depth" in this painting and that probably comes from its varied and colorful past. It has a history and reflects that in it's various layers. I love the combination of violets and turquoise also. This is beautiful. That "head" thing again.